From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 19:25:11 -0500
From: Vic Llanes :Subject: [PCBUILD] Help with HP scanner

> Hi all!  I'd appreciate any help with a problem I'm having with my HP 6100
> scanner.  The lamp seems to take a long time to warm up and so every time
> the scanner has not been in use for even a span of a few minutes and I do
> scan, I get an error message saying "scanner communication problem.; (OK)"
>
> I try scanning again and everything will be all right and I can
continually
> scan page after page but let the scanner rest for a while and I'll have
the
> same initial problem.
>
> I've only had this scanner for 2 years and I do not use it heavily but I
do
> need it really badly since I use it with an OCR and speech program for
> reading bills, mails etc.
>
> Is there an easy fix, some part that is user serviceable, something to
tweak
> or clean?  Should I wait till it breaks completely before having it
serviced
> so as to utilize the lamps' lifespan, if indeed it is the lamp that is the
> real culprit.
>
> Also, maybe as a temporary fix, is there a parameter I can send to its
scsi
> to lengthen the timeout.
>
> If I really need to have it fix where would  I bring it.  I am at Ossining
> New York.
>
> I've tried looking for a solution at HP's web site but I get lost among
the
> clutter of info and links.  HP's site is a little tedious for   people who
> uses screen reading programs.
>
> Like I've said I would really appreciate help especially that this is a
> desperate problem for me.
>
> Thank you very much
> Vic

Vic,
Is this problem something that has just started occurring or has this
problem been happening since the scanner was installed?  Have you made any
changes to the system, added hardware or removed it before the problem
started occurring?  Are you using the SCSI card that came with the scanner?
Are there any other peripherals daisy-chained on the same SCSI card?  In
"Device Manager" what I/O is the SCSI card using?  Proper termination is
often a problem with SCSI devices, check to make sure that the scanner is
properly terminated.

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org