From:
Dharam Bhardwaj <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 16:45:01 -0600
I had exactly the same problem on a machine, yesterday, using a 3com 905x card. I
solved it by moving it to a 'higher' pci slot. The previous pci slot was 'shared'
with isa, and from my exprience, this slot often causes problems with network
cards. Check to see if your nic is in a 'shared' slot. If your card is new and
installs properly, spending time doing diagnostics may not help if the hardware
doesn't like the configuration. In fact, in my case, the Windows98 boot up became
much faster and smoother after the slot change. HTH.
Regards,
Dharam

Benjamin Hawes wrote:

> I recently installed a 3Com Etherlink 3c905c-tx-m Fast Ethernet PCI card on my
> DFI K6BV3+ board (it has an AMD k6-III 400 chip and 64 megs). It is recognized
> in the Device configuration screen, but I can't get any logon - it won't
> display the other computers in the network (I am connecting into a college
> ethernet system from my apartment). Someone from the college came and tested
> the wires and the jack, and both are good. I spent 11/2 hours on the line with
> a guy @ 3Com, but we couldn't make any headway. He suggested I go through a
> complete uninstall/reinstall of all of the Dial-Up networking files via
> Microsoft's instructions from their knowledgebase. So I uninstalled the
> driver,  physically removed the card, and followed the instructions. At the
> end of it all, it's exactly the same -- no logon. The diagnostic tool that
> came with the card says that the network connection works, but when I run the
> diagnostic tool on the NIC itself, it crashes thae computer and restarts it.
> Any ideas?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org