From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:30:05 -0500
i'm lacking in technical jargon knowledge, so excuse the elementary
phrasing of this question.  i have a relatively new mouse (about 2 months
old) that has already gotten to the point where it's having trouble moving
the cursor.
the left-right roller is still fine.  does anyone know what could be wrong
with it?  i'm thinking that either it's
still dirty and maybe i should pull out the cotton swabs and rubbing
alcohol (is that adviseable?) or there's a loose connection somewhere.

mark simmons

Mark,
This will sound strange, but every once in a while I get a user complaining
about the mouse they are using , and I always use a better brand mouse on
the network clients.  It sometimes turns out to be too much ambient light,
mostly sunlight, striking the mouse and causing the photo-cells to "see"
signals constantly!  Shading the mouse provides immediate relief, as does
closing the blinds or turning off the lights.  You would think an adquate
design would account for this and only the cheapest mouse with big gaps in
its shell pieces would suffer, but I have seen it with several expensive
units, including MS serial mouse.  By the way, I'm talking seriously bright
lights here or direct sunlight, not overhead fluorescent bulbs.  I guess I
should have tinted the office windows.  This was a serious pain to me for
some time, so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Tom Turak