From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:20:36 -0800
On 27 Oct 98 at 17:44, Patrick Black wrote:

> Here's the setup of the system so far:
>
> Cyrix MX PR-233 188Mhz (2.5x75mhzbus)
> Motherboard ENPC EP-PT11 vers. 1.1
>  using i430chipset
> 16 megabytes of SDRAM in DIMM1
> 3D Pro 3D AGP VGA 2M video memory (SiS 6215 chipset)

  There have been half-a-dozen i430 chipsets; only the i430TX
supports SDRAM.  According to ENPC's web site, that's what the
EP-PT11 uses, although there's no reference to a version with AGP....

> The Problem:
>
> The system goes through post and detects the memory will go
> through it twice, sometimes three times, on the last time the count
> stops either at the correct amount of RAM or short of the total
> count. I can either hit esc. and the system says 16 thousand
> whatever bytes OK and it stops and says at the bottom of the screen
> Press DEL to enter the cmos. Or if I let the memory count continue
> it stops like I mentined above but with the press DEL it says
> press esc to skip memory test.
>
> Either way I cannot enter setup (yes, the keyboard works) and the
> boot process doesnt' continue like should. I do not have any boot
> devices attached to the system as yet( I did install one HD but
> the system still hung like it did without a boot device).  It
> should give some type of error to this effect.  It simply just
> hangs.
>
> I am thinking that this is a video card problem, I do not think it
> is a motherboard problem, but could also be a BIO's problem (I
> think the chip can be replaced).

  It could be a BIOS problem, but I think I was able to produce a
state like this on my old Abit IT5H by selecting incompatible options
in the CMOS configuration.
  There should be a jumper you can use to reset the CMOS contents to
their default values.  Try it and see if you can then get into setup.

David G

                                  -----