From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:04:31 -0800
On 22 Dec 98 at 12:53, Bill Nussbaumer wrote:

> The power supply has 6 main bundles.
>
> 1.  Labeled P1 goes directly to the MB - very large 20 PIN connector
>
> 2.  Labeled P2 - smaller 6 slot connector - it appears that this is for the
> AT MB and will go unused in my system.
>
> 3 &4.  Go to a standard 4 pin connector (the ones you power a hard drive
> with) and then pass through to finally terminate in another 4 pin connector.
>
> 5&6.  Go to the same 4 pin connectors but pass through to terminate in a
> very small 4 pin connector.
>
> I have three questions.

> 1.  Are the pass through connectors OK to use for powering
> multiple devices on the same cable (actually the bundle of small
> cables)? i.e.  Can I attach 1 hard drive to a connector and then
> attach another hard drive to the passed through connector on the
> same cable bundle?  The case fans also have a pass through
> configuration ... does this mean that I can power all three case
> fans off of one connector extending from the power supply just by
> connecting them to each other?

  I've experienced system problems whenever I put two hard drives on
the same lead ("bundle" of cables).  Sharing a lead with a CD-ROM or
floppy generally works fine; I haven't had a problem sharing a lead
with a fan, although others have cautioned against it.

> 2.  Are the small 4 pin connectors for the 3.5" floppy drive?  (There are a
> total of two of these connectors in the case).

  Yes, exactly.  If the power supply didn't come with them, you can
find cables about 2" long to convert a large connector to the small
one.

> 3.  Any other advice on how to configure the power supply connections?

  I've used one or two weird devices that wanted a lead all to
themselves.  You don't mention any of them here, so it's probably not
an issue.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html