From:
Glen Sagers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:25:54 -0600
Peter,
    Your idea to gt the second drive, copy everything over, and then
re-install win98 is sound.  It's probably best to partition the larger drive
first, leaving free space for linux, or making the Linux partitions in
advance, then you won't have to mess with a drive with data on it.

I notice an increase in speed with UDMA66, (providing you have a controller
already built in), vs 33.  I have 2 drives, a 20GB 66 and a 4GB 33, set up as
you plan to.  The speed difference between the drives is measurable with disk
speed benchmarks, also.  But, it's probably not worth adding a Promise or
similar UDMA66 card.

More memory is always great, but it won't change anything for the second
drive.  Memory is dirt cheap these days though, so now seems to be a good time
to buy.

Finally, when you're done, you may want to tell win98 to use the new disk for
a swap file, it swaps out somewhat faster if the swap file is on a second
drive.

Glen Sagers

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html