From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 10:42:53 -0800
On 12 May 98 at 21:36, Art Sauder wrote:

> I have a scanner that requires a SCSI II card. Am considering an
> upgrade of my motherboard to one that has an onboard UW SCSI
> controller. Can anyone advise me if the scanner that specs. call
> for scsi2 would work with this controller or would I need to add in
> a scsi 2 card.

  The motherboards with on-board UW SCSI that I have used provide two
connectors, a wide (HD-68) connector and a 50-pin header.  We add a
ribbon cable and a bracket to connect the 50-pin header to an HD-50
(what people often mean when they say "SCSI 2") connector out the
back of the machine.  [Fast SCSI 2 is 10mb/s; this is apparently what
the scanner wants to talk to.  Ultra SCSI 2 can go to 20mb/s -- more
than the scanner will use, but that's no problem.]  This leaves the
68-pin connector for hooking up internal (wide, or narrow with an
adapter) SCSI devices.

  You don't want to put any devices on the 50-pin path inside the
box, because if you want to run without the scanner, you'd have to
open up the box to terminate the last of these.  Generally the SCSI
controller (probably AIC-7880?) will handle termination automatically
*IF* there are no devices on this side of it.
  Note also that external SCSI-2 cables shouldn't be more than about
6' long, total.

David G