From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 12:08:07 -0700
Hi Paul,

The best place to look for power supply recommendations is at AMD's web
site.  The power rating is really only a minor part of the story.
 Naturally you want to pick a supply that's going to deliver enough
power, but more important is the quality of the power.  An awful lot of
inexpensive 300 watt (and higher) power supplies have sigificant voltage
droops under load, and that's one of the critical areas that AMD looks
at when they recommend a power supply.  Basically, it's all well and
good for a power supply to deliver plenty of power, but if its 5 volt
supply droops by a volt when it's under load, you have a real problem!

That being said, I use an Antec 300 watt for my Athlon system.  It also
powers four 60GB IDE drives, a 9GB SCSI drive, odds and ends of adapter
cards and 1GB of memory.

AMD's recommendations for the Athlon are at:

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_1039%5e1053,00.html

and for the Duron:

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_1073%5e1080,00.html

Best of luck!