From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 10:40:57 -0500
Hello all,

I hope this is the right list for this...

A friend recently bought a new computer system and wants to transfer
about 2 Gigs of data files from her old system to the new one. The old
system runs the plain vanilla Win95, while the new system runs Win95b
(OSR2).

SneakerNet (floppies) is out of the question, so I'm thinking maybe the
built-in applet called Direct Cable Connection. Has anyone used this?
Does it work with a standard null modem cable when used on the serial
ports of both machines? If not, what are the pinouts so I can build her
a cable? I haven't been able to find the specs on the MS site.

Alternatively, I assume LapLink can handle this chore, but again, she
doesn't have a cable (or the software). Is LapLink the better way to go?
At least 75% of the data transfers will be in one direction, (old to
new), with the other 25% being changes she makes to the older system in
preparation of giving it to her kids.

TIA,

Jeff Delzer