From:
The Stevens's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 22:13:14 -0500
My recently built AMD Athlon 800 MHZ has recently been overheating and
crashing alot. I built this computer earlier this month. It has an AMD
Athlon 800 MHZ socket 670 (not overclocked), Voodoo 5 5500 AGP (not
overclocked), a Linksys network card, a 3dfx cooling fan (cools pci and
agp and isa cards), a Cyclone Blower fan for air to leave system (in a
pci slot), a fan in the front drawing air in, and (of course) a fan on
the processor. The motherboard is an Abit KT7 raid. It takes forever to
load network neighborhood, then crashes when you try to access a
computer. It never actually succeeds in accessing the computer, i looked
at netwatcher to see, and every once in a while i get this error on the
blue screen of death (i never seen this error before):

"Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VXD, possibly
recently installed, has consumed to much stack space. Increase the
settings of minSPs on system.ini or remove recently installed VXDs"

Also, about the overheating problem, the processor generally runs around
100 degrees F, and 110 after playing intense 3d games, the system about
 80 degrees. the processor suddenly (as of yesterday) started running 150
 degrees! it climbs all the way to 160 degrees! I have not removed any
 fans, and all fans seem to be working fine. Im thinking the overheating
 is relating to the crashing. Why is it doing all this all of a sudden?
By the way, im using Via Hardware Monitor to get those temperatures.
This is the bundled monitoring software off the Abit cd.

From the cluttered computer desk of Adam "Techdude" Stevens