Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 15:07:06 +0200
I recently had to reinstall everything (including win98) in my home
recording studio PC. The PC is dedicated to this purpose, and has no
network cards, no modem, and nothing besides the things relevant for its
purpose as an audio recording studio. It has a Pulsar audio card, which is
the heart of the whole system.
Due to the fact that it is dedicated to real time jobs, it is mentioned
in the manual for the audio card under "optimization tips" that if I have
more than 24Mb of system RAM, it is better to define the computer's main
role (In the control panel->system->performance->file system) from
"desktop computer" to "network server". The PC is not networked of course,
but I guess that this definition is better for real time works.

1) what is this system RAM (I know that it is much lower than the physical
RAM, because the minimum required RAM for this card is much higher).

2) What is the real difference between defining it as "Desktop computer"
and "Network server" in the way Win98 handles the file system?

3) In this "optimization tips" for the audio card, it is recommended to
disable "write behind caching" for all hard disks. While doing this is
very simple, I am stil curious to know what does it mean?

Thanks,
Uzi
http://members.iol.co.il/uzip/