From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 21:04:42 -0400
Hi Jacob,

You certainly set your sight very high. Too high IMHO,

but don't let me dampen your spirits or enthusiasm.

Just keep in mind that thousands have gone before you.

Have a look at these links: List is conservative and possibly not up-to-date,

but it gives you an idea what you're up against.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

http://www.computerhope.com/os.htm

http://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/_english/os-liste.htm

Operating systems (585)  Linux distributions (606)

What platform are you developing for?

Do you have a developer team in place?

It's impossible to achieve as a single person.

From your questionnaire it seems like you're aiming for a Windows-like OS?

Problem is - as an analogy - you're deciding about the paint color

 for the exterior of the house , before you have a building lot, building permits,

building plans and architect's drawings, building materials and a building crew.

Next would be trades like electrical ,plumbing etc.etc.

Minor detail, some money to actually pay for all this.

My suggestion is to concentrate your energy on something that is actually achievable.

Then again ,you're only going up against a few small players , like Microsoft, Apple,

Google or even IBM ,which is now more active in the commercial side of the business.

All I can say is Good Luck,

Peter E.