From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:08:54 -0500
John Chin wrote:

>         (A)     If you will be installing Windows 95 from the floppies:  Create a
> directory called C:\WIN95 and copy all the files from all the installation
> floppies to this directory.  This will give you a chance to correct floppy
> disk errors during the copy process, and also will speed up installation
> and allow Windows access to drivers and other files from the hard drive on
> subsequent occasions.

     Good point. It's definitely a good idea to get the Cab files on the
hard drive regardless of whether the media comes on floppies or CD. I
never did mess with the big 30-plus disk sets of Win95 installation
floppies as fortunately CD versions and CD drives became common in my
region, but with the 15 or so DMF floppies it was also possible to copy
to the hard drive, but it required a special routine or extract command
(details in a read-me file on disk 1). I've slept since then though as
that was prior to Windows 95 release and I had beta copies from
Microsoft Press which I installed in April of 1995 on a Thinkpad laptop.
Took 2.5 hours for that first install. What fun! *;-)

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene