From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:15:55 -0600
I suggest that you go with Windows Home Premium, simply to avoid having to
upgrade later.  Furthermore, it is supposed to have some security advances,
albeit some of which are annoying.  (Do not even consider Basic, and
Ultimate is overkill, unless you need the specific features it offers.)

That said, I recently purchased a notebook with Ultimate, and I find the new
interface very annoying.  Of course, I found XP annoying too, when I first
got it.  Vista is a bigger step than XP was over 98.

I have had pretty good success loading my older software onto the Vista
computer, but some older sixteen bit programs would not load and run.  You
probably have four or five main programs that you run most of the time, so
check with the web sites of those programs to see if they are Vista
compatible.   Extremetech (PC Magazine's web endeavor) tested some programs
for compatability;  Oblivion, of great importance to many, was said to run
without a hitch.

Unfortunately, now is a poor time to build a new computer, especially for a
gamer.  DirectX 10 cards and games are not out yet,  but these things will
be out before the end of the year, and they figure to be a significant
advance in the state of the art; an expensive upgrade may be necessary.

You really need to think twice about whether you want to upgrade now or
wait.  If now is the answer, you need to decide exactly what you **must** be
able to run on your new build and do the research to find if those things
will or will not run.

HTH

Dean Kukral

Mi