From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:38:06 -0600
I have built a new computer about every year or two for the last twenty
years.  The only time that I ever ran into a problem was when I tried to use
the newer IDE (80 line connector, I believe) drives with an older "removable
drive box" that used the older (40 line connector) interface.  I upgraded
both my wife's computer and mine at about the same time, and it took two
days to notice that my computer was not using the box (and worked) and hers
was using the box (and did not work).

My suggestion to anyone whoever wants to upgrade is to always replace the
motherboard, cpu, and memory at the same time and purchased from the same
vendor.  There is where the incompatibilities may arise;  if they don't work
well together, then there can be no finger-pointing to another vendor.

Things work better together without a hitch than they have ever before.  But
you MUST make sure that the cpu, motherboard, and memory are all compatible.

If you are using an SLI video card, you must make sure your motherboard
supports SLI.  Likewise, for AGP.  (Most new stuff should be SLI.)

If you are using a SATA hard drive, you must make sure that your motherboard
supports SATA and that your power supply supports SATA.  Likewise for IDE.
(Most new stuff should be SATA.)

You must make sure that the motherboard you purchase has enough card slots
for all of the cards you add.  SLI video cards will often require the room
of two slots, even if they only connect to one slot.  My current, almost
state-of-the-art motherboard has room for only my SLI card and a sound card!
:(

Don't skimp on your case and power supply.  (I purchased a high quality case
and power supply that has gone through many motherboard upgrades.  It is
easy to work in without cutting my fingers.)

Don't skimp on  your monitor.  Monitors can last long after the computer is
retired.

Half the fun of building a new computer is doing the research and thinking
about what you want to get.

Dean Kukral