From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:51:12 -0500
I clipped almost everything because the point of my post is the error
message.  There is a media byte descriptor that Norton utilities (and
others) have a specific routine for fixing.  One of my employees had this
exact message at home and Norton recovered the drive.  After using Norton
to fix the Invalid Media error, He reports that his FAT16 tables could not
be recovered, but since you just formated the drive, you should run fdisk
anyway to clean up the partition table, so that won't matter.

Anyway, for a complete description of his fix,  he ran Norton utilities, he
had to restore the master boot record (MBR), tried to use the SYS command
to restore the boot files, (didn't work) so he did a DOS format (no low
level formats necessary).  There may have been a chance to recover some
data, but he didn't try.

tom turak