From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:32:45 -0800
I just installed a ATI Rage Fury w/TV out on a customer's gaming rig. It
can support 120Mhz at 1024 x 768 32bit - no joke! It also supports
the latest versions of glide and direct3d. And with 32MB SDRAM he
was able to scan very crisp 32bit images.It also has a MPEG-3 decoder
for DVD players. Without doubt an excellent card.

Personally, I'm a Matrox fan. If you go that route. I would recommend
you consider the Matrox Mellinium G400 w/32MB SGRAM. I'm
currently using the G200 which has given flicker-free results on a 19"
at 1024 x 768 at 32bit. Also, I've never known a Matrox to become
hot and unstable. True gaming cards run very hot. My system stays on
24hrs x 365days to perform remote power quality tests. This card never
gets above 43*C. Others can idle at 54*C (129.2*F).
The G400 has become the new flagship gaming card for Matrox as well.
If you need gaming spec.s you can visit
http://www.gamespot.com/features/builtforspeed/index.html for
benchmark results and reviews of the top 23 gaming cards.
-yui

Leon E. Zimlich wrote:

> The query and responses so far about ATI graphics cards makes me wonder if
the ATI Rage Fury Pro card I was about to buy is the best choice for my
purposes.

> I am a photographic historian beginning to explore digital imaging, so
high quality display of digital images is more important to me than cutting
edge 3D graphics.  I am looking for refresh rates of at least 75MHz, 24-bit
or better color, and at least 1024x768 screen resolution, though support for
color and refresh rates at higher resolution would be a plus if I decide to
also upgrade my monitor.  Would the Matrox cards such as Jun Qian mentions
meet my needs?

> So, I would appreciate your recommendations for graphics cards. Jun Qian
also mentions "expensive perfessional level video solution[s]."  Does anyone
know of websites catering to professional clientele with needs similar to
mine?

> Thanks,

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org