From:
Jack Parks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 23:41:44 -0500
Hello again list,

    I posted last week that I thought that I was ready to build my first PC
after the list straightened me out on grounding the MB. Well I have hit
another snag already. I am using an ATX tower with a DFI P5BVP MB which is a
baby AT but with a AT or ATX power supply and is supposed to be compatible
with either form of tower. The AMDK6 233 processor was already installed and
jumpers preset. I have went step by step 3 times with the manual and the
jumpers are where I would have have put them also. I am confused by the
power switch on this ATX tower. My previous experience has been with AT
towers where the power supply goes directly to the switch for direct on or
off. On this, the switch has 2 small wires and is a momentary contact. When
I plug the power in the green led comes on right away, but you have to push
the power button for the fans to come and everything then seems to be
powered up. The led's light on the cd-rom and the floppies like normal on
post, but the monitor will not come on. I do not have the hard drive powered
up. I just simply wanted to go into cmos and check settings.  The power
switch, when pushed again will not turn the power off. The only way to shut
down is by pulling the plug. The only jumpers I am not sure about is on the
core voltage blocks which are set for 2.2 V. The only wires that are coming
out of the tower is the power switch, HD led, the power led, the reset, and
the speaker other than the ATX power connector. There is no keylock switch.
On the same block where these wires go there is a G-led and a G-sw which are
supposed to have something to do with suspend mode, but there are no wires.
The manual says the default for the power switch is instant off. I am not
sharp enough to know if the MB is bad or there is some little thing that I
am over looking. I put the video card back in my old machine and it works
fine. any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jack Parks