From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 18:20:32 -0500
Jim Meagher wrote:

> Bill,
>
> There are other factors to also consider before upgrading to a 56K
> modem.  Some of which may account for the problems you experience.
> I think your friend might do better to spend an extra $30-50 and
> get a KFLEX modem.  Any KFLEX modem can talk to any other KFLEX modem
> at 56K.  BUT a USR-X2 will only talk to another USR-X2 at 56K.

From a long term compatibility standpoint, wouldn't a V.90 unit be
better than either of these?  As far as the two implementations
'talking' to each other, it's pretty much the same thing.  The K56Flex
is used by more OEMs, but USR is widely used and popular among ISPs and
users alike.  As you said, it all comes down to who you intend to
communicate and what kind of equipment they have.  Unless my logic
and/or my information is wrong, I would think that V.90 is a better
choice over time.  I would think that K56Flex and X2 will go the way of
V.FC and Terbo.

> The real deciding factor is:  If your friend *only* calls his ISP, then
> get whichever brand the ISP is using.  If your friend dials in to many
> different systems, then get the KFLEX for more versatility.

Why would you not recommend a V.90 and an ISP who upgrades to this
standard, in terms of versatility?
--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639