From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 11:10:51 -0400
Jim Gemeinhardt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The printer is a HP 4000TN, a very good printer that has worked flawlessly.
>We have recently started receiving GPF's when attempting to print from
within Microsoft Word.
>The GPF always references the file "spool32.exe" and an appropriate memory
address.
>We can print once pretty easily, the second attempt to print the same
document causes the failure and we lose access to the printer, and the
computer too!

Have you tried turning off "background printing" in Word? Under
Tools/options/print, uncheck "background printing". (Also under
File/print/options... same thing). This might make printing somewhat more
inconvenient, but not so much as what you are currently experiencing.

Might be too easy, but thought it would be worth a try, thinking your
problem sounds like applications arm-wrestling for memory.

Also found this article at Microsoft, which didn't have all the symptoms of
your problem sounded somewhat like it; it suggests downloading an updated
file, spoolss.dll from Microsoft. This is supposed to be resolved in
Windows 98. Article is at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q167/7/75.asp

Susan Sutherland