From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:54:02 -0400
Changhsu Liu:

Wow, you do have a lot of stuff in there. One way to determine if your
power supply is adequate is to go to:
www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power-supplies/selector.
Bear in mind that they want to sell you a newer and bigger power supply,
but my experience was that they do give you an reasonable estimate as to
whether your supply has adequate capacity. (And always remember that
there's no law that says you have to buy anything.) And, if you have an
Athlon CPU, be aware that they use a lot of power. In fact, AMD has
established some very stringent requirements for power supplies.

Another possible explanation for your problem could be overheating: 7200
rpm disks create a lot of heat, as do many graphics cards. (Given the
specifications for the rest of your system, I expect that you've got a
very nice graphics card, too.) I don't think that IDE cards draw all
that much power, but it is possible that the presence of the card may
have disrupted the air flow within the case, allowing the temperature of
some other component -- card or motherboard chip -- to rise to the point
where it began to get flaky.

While it is possible that the IDE card was flawed -- in either design or
manufacture, you might want to pursue the above.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

"Changhsu P. Liu" wrote:

> Thank you all for the suggestions.
>
> Mine is running Service Pack 1. I think my problem comes from a cheap IDE
> 66 card I installed recently. After taking it out, I don't have reboot
> problem anymore for the last 3 days. It might not be the card itself. With
> this card added, maybe my power supply (300W) isn't big enough to provide
> all the power needed.
>
> I have a video card, NIC,  firewire, ultra-wide scsi, 3 IDE hard drive (two
> 5400rpm, one 7200rpm), 1 CD-RW. With this IDE card plugged in, I have
> another CD-ROM player connected. Is it too much for 300 power supply?
>
> Changhsu Liu

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml