From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:15:45 -0600
At 06:16 PM 6/29/2002, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>I am helping my son who is having a problem connecting to the internet
>via a cable broadband ISP.  He has an Intel D815EEA mobo with Windows
>ME.  He recently disabled the integral sound and added a PCI sound card
>and now cannot reconnect to cable.  Any suggestions on how to configure
>and get back the cable internet connection?  The cable ISP has confirmed
>the connection is good but must be a conflict in his PC setup.  Thanks
>for your help.

The Intel D815EEA motherboard comes with an onboard 10/100 lan connector
or buit-in network card.  If you son disabled the onboard sound in the CMOS
settings of the Bios and now the Network has stopped working, odds are
good that he also disabled the network connection.  You need to reopen
the CMOS and investigate what all he turned off, surely he can disable one
without disabling the other.   If not, then you will have a choice:

1)  Reinable the onboard sound so that the onboard lan will work also
      and forget the new sound card; or,
2)  Install a PCI network card in conjunction with your new sound card.

But, I would be surprised that you have more than a simple mistake in
your CMOS settings, one where your son turned off the onboard network
card/lan connection.  Just press the delete key during the post process
of starting the PC and investigate what changes have been made.  Worse
case here, you can return it to the default settings and then disable the
onboard sound again.

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group
http://freepctech.com