From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:51:09 -0500
"Rolando H. Chiong, Jr." wrote:

> My old 486DX100 cannot read my LX300 printer. I have already changed the printer cable and reinstall windows 95 but to no avail.  The same printer can run on my other Pentium computer though.  I suspect the defect is on the printer port itself built on the motherboard.  Is it possible that I can use other port, such as com. 1 or 2, or can you suggest any other method, so that I can use my printer on said 486DX100? Or can the said printer port be repaired?

   Depending on whether it has a small ribbon cable (older ones do and
newer mobos usually don't) it is possible it has a wire break that can
be fixed or even better replace the part that has the ribbon cable. You
could use a serial cable also if you can locate one that fits the
printer's 36-pin Centronics connector and the Com port you choose.
Anothe possibility (my choice) is to buy cheap network cards for both
computers and connect with a crossover cable in a two-computer
peer-to-peer network. Set the printer on the Pentium as shared in
Network settings (and in printer properties) and you can then print to
it from the 486 (plus be able to share files).

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene