From:
Robert Racki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:38:50 -0700
I recently had one heck of a time with thee satelite
service from the company direcpc.  Here is the deal,
satelite service is expensive not only for the service
but for the installation and the parts ie modem/dish.
In my neck of the woods in Massachusetts they offer
deals with the cable internet or dsl where if you have
a contract everything is free.  The satelites problem
was the speed is not throughout.  When you are surfing
webpages it is just as fast as the 56k but when you
download something such as a file the "turbo internet
kicks in" which is much faster then DSL.  I would
still go with DSL or Cable access because the satelite
industry is just starting to improve.   Just now did
they start with a 2 way satelite dish, before you had
to connect with a phoneline as well.  The technology
is slow and expensive.

My 54.3 cents

If you dont have DSL in your area check if you have
cable or ISDN service nearby.

Cheers
Robert

http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml