From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:06:10 -0800
On 3 Dec 2005 at 9:06, Richard Glazier wrote:

> I have a Viewsonic LCD and it will allow me to set
> the resolution to other things. This means you "can"
> see things larger, like you want... Smaller Resolution
> "numbers" means things look bigger on the screen.

  The problem with doing this on an LCD is that if you set it to a
resolution that isn't the native resolution, or a simple fraction (1/2, 1/3)
of the native resolution, then you wind up doing something like mapping each
Windows display pixel to something like 1.3 LCD elements.  It will be done
by some technique like mapping every third display pixel to TWO elements,
but the result will be the degraded display quality that the original poster
complained about.
  On an analog CRT, each display pixel maps to 20-30 phosphor dots, and so
changing the size of the pixels changes the display quality imperceptibly.

David Gillett