From:
David Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:42:15 +0200
Thank you, Howard and Larry, for the additional suggestions. I'll try out
the ideas as soon as my client returns from vacation, and I'll let you know
what I find.

I notice that Martha asked a motherboard question as well. Both Martha's
question and mine could have been resolved much more easily if we had the
manual, but that seems to be a scarce commodity.

Thanks to PC Build, I have a number of options for resolving my own
question. Carroll presented an amazingly long list of possible key
combinations. Others presented additional options and possibilities.

I bought a new computer two months ago. It was delivered without a mobo
manual. I don't know whether it got lost in the course of assembling the
computer - or whether it never existed.

This is very frustrating. My clients should not be expected to remember
where they keep manuals years later. The documentation should be easily and
readily available on-line, without difficulty. And if my own situation
regarding non-delivery of a manual is part of a trend, then it certainly
exacerbates future problems.

I'm not even sure I understand why such problems exist. Certain basic
aspects of the motherboard - such as my query about the key combination to
enter the BIOS setup, warning beeps, and possibly even information about
Martha's memory chip allocations - should be standardized. They should not
be based on the apparent changing whim of the manufacturer.

However, until that standardization does arrive, I certainly appreciate the
fact that I can rely on PC Build.

David Grossman

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml