From:
Leif Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 12:18:14 +0900
At 04:45 PM 3/7/1998  Dan Ellis  wrote:
_________________ Begin Quoted Text _________________
>It will lock up at random points-while typing, when left alone
>etc.   I have a fully functional desktop (win95) and can use
>the mouse with no trouble, but no keyboard.  Any thoughts?
>
>It is a standard Asus board-Intel 200mmx-32meg ram-3.2g quantum.

Try pressing F8 when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message after a reboot. Go down the list and select "Command Prompt Only". Did it lock up when you pressed F8, can you type at the DOS prompt? If everything works, type WIN at the DOS Prompt, When Win95 loads, use your mouse to open a DOS window... Can you type here? Did it lock up? If so, reboot, now after Windows comes back up, click shutdown on your start menu. Select the Restart in MS-DOS mode. Click OK. When you're at the DOS prompt, can you type now?

If you can type in DOS (with exception to the DOS window maybe), then chances are your keyboard is set up incorrectly in Windows. If you can type in DOS, you've proven the whole hardware side to be good. That's leaves Win95..

Hope this helps...

Leif Gregory
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>