From:
"Maurice J. Reid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:11:50 -0600
Don,
If he's is not planning to use his old drive on his old 98 system, I have
found the easiest way is to buy a hard drive kit case and put the old drive
in it. Connect it to a USB on the new computer and smart old XP will find it
and quickly walk you through setting it up (virtually automatic) as another
drive or drives depending upon original partitions.. Then you can either run
the programs (XP will help with compatibility problems, if any) or open
files from that drive; or transfer (cut, or copy and paste) from the old
hard drive to the new hard drive from within the new computer.  These kit
cases are fairly inexpensive (under $40.00 if you shop around) and the
beauty is they are portable. If he wants to keep his personal files really
personal, the kit case can be unplugged, pressed against his bosom and
carried away, to be re-plugged in upon his return.
Good Luck