From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:44:29 -0400
Copying files is one thing, copying programs is another.  Some
programs update the registry, and copying over the program library
will not be sufficient for every program to run.  You may need to
install a software package on both machines, connect both machines
via parallel cables, straight thru cables, crossover cables, etc.
as required by the software, and then let the software copy over
the programs.  You may be able to drop a nic into the old pc if
the software will work over cat5 cables.  If you can connect both
to a network, xp will probably let you access the old computer via
windows explorer, and let you copy over data files easily, but it
probably won't work on all the programs.  Sometimes, you can pick
these 'pccopy' programs up cheap during sales (4th of July is
coming).  They may also take a while to run, depending on
connectivity.