Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:58:10 +0100
Hi,
since I posted the question, as impatient as I am, I couldn't wait the few
hours for any answers, so I decided to delete the partition and repartion
and format it once again.
I've reloaded windows, and the error messages seem to have gone, it's not
reporting any errors with the free space any more, which I'm pleased about.
I'm left with another problem now though. Since I'm waiting on my new router
to arrive through the post, I thought I'd connect this particular pc
directly to my external broadband modem now,  to enable me to download
anything now rather than later.
Although in the past, I have connected this pc to the internet via usb
broadband, I have now installed a NIC and connected it via ethernet.
The first pc connected to the net fine, no problems at all, just a rebooting
of the modem, but with the other pc, I'm getting the error message that 0
network adapters are set to DHCP (have I got that the right way round?)
They are both identical cards, bought at the same time, which leads me to
wonder whether the pc is still playing up.
I have worked out that it's something to do with the computer not getting
the correct IP address, because all goes fine with the broadband install
disk, until it tries to ping the server. An IP address has been assigned to
the pc, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason.
The adapter address is something like: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF.
This is just a guess, but it seems like my computer is trying to access an
internal network rather than the internet.
I have no idea what to do next, I have no idea if there are any settings I
should change. I've checked to make sure tcp/ip is enabled, and it is.
I've never encountered this before, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me
some idea of the problem?
I'm in the UK (if that makes any difference, not sure), and my ISP is NTL.
(Or would it just be easier to wait for the router to arrive and see if that
will configure the settings for me?)
I'm not really sure what the best course of action would be.
Any ideas?
thanks in advance.
Michele Sayer

                     support at our newest website: