Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 01:06:08 +0100
Hi, I've been trying to network my childrens computers, and have run into problems with one of them.
the other seems fine, which is why I'm wondering if either the Ram or the hard drive are failing in the other.
The problems are as follows:
I loaded win98 with Me upgrade, and that seems fine.
Now, if I then try to load anything else, such as Norton utilities, antivirus, etc, the computer will only start in safe mode, until I take them out of the start up.
Every time I try to make changes, such as network changes, it tells me to restart (as normal), but the changes are not saved.
I've uninstalled and reloaded. Had the same problem with xp, so I uninstalled that.
Deleted the partition and repartitioned the drive.
Refomatted.
(I've even run a trojan scanner on it, just in case)

I've tried just about everything. It was fine up until a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason, although it was starting up, my antivirus was disabled everytime on start up even though I had constantly set it to automatic.
(The software is fine, it's the same as I have used on all of my other computers)
I'm not sure what's wrong with it.
The only change I have made lately is that I have added RAM. I have also removed it and reseated it since the problems became severe. I have tested the ram and it's fine.

Any ideas? It was a second hand hdd, so I'm wondering if it's on it's last legs here.
I've had it scanning thoroughly now for over 24hrs, and it's still the same. No bad sectors are being reported.
Every now and again, I get a message that the free space is being reported incorrectly.
I have a feeling that the hard drive needs replacing, but I am hoping that I may be able to keep it going for a while.(It's a money thing)

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Michele Sayer