From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 10:46:40 -0500
You have a difficult problem, but I think that you have taken all the right
steps.  Let's summarize,

1.  The problem suddenly appeared out of nowhere; no changes to the system
were made.

2.  You have updated all your drivers (although #1 would indicate it is not
a driver problem).

3.  The problem happens randomly - not in any specific program.  Along with
#1, this suggests it is a hardware problem, not a software problem.

4.  You are pretty sure it is not a heating problem.  Make sure that the cpu
fan is working.  This problem can easily be caused by an overheating cpu,
and if the fan is not working, the cpu can overheat very fast!  While you
are checking the fan, blow any excess dust off.  (Do not use a vacuum
cleaner or any possible source of static electricity.)

So, at least to me, it looks like a hardware problem, and not a heating
problem, which would otherwise be the #1 suspicion.

Is it a power supply problem?  If you leave the computer on all day without
doing anything, do you have this problem?   If not, then - maybe - it is not
a power supply problem.

Is it a corrupted disk?  Run scandisk several times overnight.

Go to the bios and uncheck the quick boot.  Then boot several times to see
if the memory check finds anything.  If you have two sticks of memory, use
only one for a while and see if the system crashes with it.  If it crashes
with one stick and not the other, then, there  you have it.

Darn Microsoft!  If this were my computer and I were not running XP, I would
save what I needed to and reformat, scan, and reinstall everything in case I
had a corrupted file somewhere.  This is still an option, but you will have
to call MS and get your XP reauthorized.  Actually, I did this once, and it
was not really so bad, but I am paranoid about these things...

Maybe somebody else can come up with some more suggestions of things to try.

Good Luck!

Dean Kukral