From:
Jonathan Navarro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 05:24:18 -0600
 Hello Travis

Most likely these units are Plug n' Play, so you don't need to install any
drivers in Win 95/98. If you have done any changes to the Autoexec.bat and
Config.sys files, remove those entries. Make sure there are no other entries
for DOS drivers in these files.

Is this unit IDE or SCSI ??
I assume it is IDE.

As you mentioned, you won't be able to run programs that need 32-bit
drivers, your CDR-RW unit must be running in 16-bit mode, check under:
 Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Performance > File System:
 *If it says "Some drivers are using MS-DOS Compatibility Mode",
 remove the entries in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys.

Have you checked the connections??
-Make sure the red line on the IDE ribbon cable matches the pin # 1.

Did you installed it in the primary or secondary IDE Controller??
Slave or master ???
-If there is another cd-rom or any IDE device connected to the same IDE
controller, make sure one is master and the other one is set to slave.

Is your BIOS detecting the unit ??
Make sure in your BIOS "Primary Slave", "Secondary Master", "Secondary
Slave", ... depending where you connected the unit is set to
"AUTO-Detection" or "CD-ROM".

Why is you computer not detecting the CDR-RW unit in the first place??
-there must be a conflict in the device manager.
-Go to:
  Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Device Manager
        > Hard Disk Controllers.
If there is any yellow exclamation marks under Hard Disk Controllers, search
the registry using "Regedit", for something called "NOIDE" in capitals ...
if you find it, delete it and restart your computer.

If there are no yellow exclamation marks under Hard Disk Controllers, check
the performance* of the system, if it is NOT "32-bit", and connections are
fine, your BIOS is detecting the unit, no MS-DOS(16-bit) drivers installed,
the CDR-RW is not been detected under "Device Manager > CD-ROM"; reinstall
windows.

Add New Hardware Wizard is not required, since you tried to install the unit
using this wizard, check Device Manager under: "CD-ROM" and "Other Devices"
if there is something else related to cd-roms that is not your cd-rom or
your CDR-RW unit, remove it.

HTH.

 ===
 Jonathan Navarro