From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:26:29 -0400
Susan:

I don't think that DSL is not a viable solution for you. "Living in the
country" is the problem, as verified by your slow connection speeds.
ADSL has a limit of about 3 miles of telephone line (NOT the same "as
the crow flies") between you and the Telco switch point. That pretty
much reduces your options to satellite and (maybe) cable. While I'm not
familiar with satellite, a friend in a similar situation to yours is
very pleased with it. Download speeds are excellent, although there are
some latency problems because you have to do the uploading via a
telephone connection. (Which, IIRC, are incredibly expensive in your
area.) In other words, it's very good for downloading files, normal
surfing, e-mail, etc., but not so great for game playing, and probably
wouldn't be workable if you wanted to run some sort of server.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

"Susan S. Hays" wrote:

> Could someone please tell me which is faster and more reliable, DSL or
> Satelite?  DSL is not yet available in my area, but Satelite is.  I live in
> the country, if that makes any difference.  My phone line is currently
> connecting at 28,800 and I have a 56K modem.  I was connecting much faster
> until I added a second phoneline.  I have called the phone company several
> times and of course, they say that nothing is wrong with my line.  So I've
> given up on that.  Sure could use some input because I know nothing about DSL
> or Satelite.
>
> Thank you,
> Susan Hays

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: