From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:14:27 -0400
To All:

Re: "Installs after format"

on the subject. I wanted a procedure for my own use, and because Brendan
Horne's was the most comprehensive, I edited it for clarity,
organization, and to eliminate extraneous verbiage. Then it seemed
reasonable to offer the edited version to the rest of the List, not only
for their use, but first for any suggestions to improve upon it.

HELP: Anyone with suggestions for additions, changes, or notes, please
email me direct at [log in to unmask] I'll compile the suggestions and
repost the finished project on the List. If there are conflicting
suggestions, the final draft will include notes to that effect.

**Note to {PCBUILD]: Please post this on PCSOFT, if deemed useful.
Thanks.

**Note to Brendan Horne: Please proof for any errors in transposition,
and check the last paragraph, as it was a little unclear to me. Thanks

The checklist, so far:

OS/Windows - install or reinstall after Format C:\
   [Procedure according to Brendan Horne, {and others} of the PCBUILD
list.]
1. Bios check, set up bios for an install (if I don't it doesn't install)
2. Install the base operating system with a minimal amount of equipment:
   Floppy, HD, CD-ROM, video card (not high end agp).
3. Install video card driver when asked by Install.
4. When OS installation is complete, reset BIOS and add drivers:
   a. motherboard drivers
   b. video (high end) - this may mean changing the card after a
shutdown.
   c. sound card
   d. modem
5. Add peripherals - printers, scanners, etc.
   a. If a peripheral requires a driver, install it first.
   b. Add a second CD-ROM, or second video card
   c. Test printers

[With Windows there is a lot of restarting the computer, so it's a good
time to add hardware.]

6. Add major stand alone programs such as: M$ Office, Adobe Acrobat, Anti
Virus, and Power Desk.
7. Add secondary programs such as: PhotoShop, media players, IM, etc.

[Don't do a lot of configuring of these programs at this time; don't
connect to the Internet yet. Don't register
programs via the Internet, mail them if necessary to preclude an Internet
connection yet.

7. Configure desktop themes and begin setting up Dial Up settings.
8. Install firewall, especially if using a DSL
9. Connect to the Internet using a dial up modem - not a DSL, if
possible. (Many computers are ridden with "security holes.") If using a
DSL or cable modem, ensure your firewall is in place.
10. Go the OS updates site(s), and download all critical patches.
11. Install recommended or desired updates.
12. Get program updates and patches via CNet or ZDNet for programs
already installed.
13. Tweak OS and programs.
14. Install backup such as address books, ICQ number, and contacts.
15. [Optional] Go to the Web and get desired programs for which you don't
have external copies.
16. Run Scan Disk and Defrag [most of time things are OK].
17. [Recommended] Run RegCleaner and Ad Aware.
18. Final checks, including security items such as port scan from Shields
Up.
19. Check modem and/or DSL speed.

["If all of that passes first time around, I go back and check because it
usually means I screwed up. :-) Things almost never go completely right
first time out." - Brendan Horne]

[BH: If I'm having a repeat problem with a fresh install, I usually try
to find the program or item that's the culprit and remove it, if
possible. If it's an essential item or program for which I don't have
fix, I may not do the install, as it's not worth trying to load programs
or hardware on a system that's being temperamental at an early stage. It
only makes things worse as they go along.]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml