From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:38:14 -0600
Good Morning,

We have had a surge of new subscribers again, which means it
is time to review the usage of our mailing lists:  PCBUILD & PCSOFT.

During the last 10 days our average number of e-mails rejected
has risen to nearly 5 a day.  That is too high.  If you are sending
an e-mail to be posted, follow these basic rules and your message
will be approved for posting to the mailing list:

1)  No advertising in the message, No harsh or critical comments,
      send the message to only our mailing list, (multiple addresses
      is cross-posting) and no file attachments.
2)  All messages must be in plain text, HTML or other formatting
      add nothing to your message and are hard to read for many
      subscribers.
3)  Your message must be On TOPIC...  PCBUILD is PC Hardware
      and PCSOFT is PC Software...   anything else does not belong
4)  Your message MUST display your full name, both first and last
       either in the FROM line or signed to the bottom
5)   Complete thoughts:  take a minute to write a complete answer
       with as much information as you can include.  One well thought
       out answer a day is better than numerous one line comments.
       Never assume everyone will understand...  try to make even the
       newest users grasp your comments.
6)  Brevity: trim as much of the question and the footer from the message
      you are answering.  Leave just enough of the original message so
      your answer makes sense.  The footer is that small message added
      to the bottom of each post and must be trimmed when answering
      a message...  multiple footers are messy and cumbersome.

We appreciate everyone who uses PCBUILD and PCSOFT, we appreciate
your help provided to fellow subscribers.  But, you must remember the
size of your audience, thousands of people will read your message... each
post generates over 1,500 emails and is archived for future reference,
(the archives are available on our web site http://nospin.com , consult the
web page the each mailing list for access).

The Moderators are in place to insure that messages sent to the mailing
list(s) meet this basic criteria, but even they let one slip by from time to
time.  They never stop a message because the answer is wrong...  only
if it violates these basic rules, and these rules are very simple and intended
to create an environment usable and enjoyable by everyone.  The rules
for posting are available at:   http://nospin.com/pc/maillist.html

Arguing with a Moderator will accomplish nothing.   I regularly kick and ban
the odd subscriber who decides a Moderator can be harangued and
assailed.  Moderators are donating their time to assist you in proper
posting, rejections of your post is not personal... it is never personal...
they are only following the guidelines.  The Moderators donate their time
to insure these mailing lists function properly, they are not compensated
for these efforts.  If you have a problem with the rules, remember they
have been in place for years.  We did a poll of subscribers at one time
and by over 70%, our subscribers embraced our moderation policies.

So, when you ask a question, provide as much information as possible
so we can provide quality answers.  When you post an answer, consider
your audience and provide clearly thought out information to help not only
the person asking, but the hundreds of others who will benefit from your
knowledge.  Our subscribers...  our readers... which numbers into the
tens of thousands these days, will benefit far more if you add as much
detail as possible.  No one will feel you are condescending...  they
realize the answer will benefit everyone, if everyone can understand.

We hope you will help us by working within our framework, so that
each subscriber and reader will benefit.  This is not personal, just the
format we have found to be most effective.

Thanks for making PCBUILD and PCSOFT so successful,

         Bob Wright
    The NOSPIN Group
Send an email to:   [log in to unmask]
In the body of the message type:  SIGN OFF PCBUILD  (or PCSOFT)

DIGEST:  If you would like to receive only one email a day with all the
messages generated that day, send an email to:
In the body of the message type:   SET PCBUILD DIGEST  (or PCSOFT)

NOMAIL:  Wish to stop receiving messages for a time?  Send an email
to:  [log in to unmask]      In the body of the message type:
    SET PCSOFT NOMAIL   (or PCBUILD)

To start the mailing list sending you mail again, reverse the process
by sending an email to the same address with this in typed in the body:
     SET PCBUILD MAIL   (or PCSOFT)

For more information about our mailing lists visit our web site at:
       http://nospin.com
You will find a vast amount of information available, including everything
necessary to understand how mailing lists function, proper posting,
articles, guides and FAQs that will help you with common questions.
You can also access our archives and do a search for answers provided
earlier.

           The NOSPIN Group, Inc.
    http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: