From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:40:18 -0600
At 11:12 AM 09/28/1999 , Gerald Rasmussen wrote:
>Hi gang,
>I have been requested to provide assistance for a networking problem
>involving three
>computers networked together with a 10-port hub.  One computer is a laptop,
>one a Dell PC and the third a Gateway PC.  The client says that the network
>was working fine for about three months when one day the Dell couldn't see
>any drives shared on the network.  The client remapped the drives and things
>were ok until the next time the Dell was rebooted.  This is the current
>situation:
>The laptop and Gateway can see each other in their respective Network
>Neighborhoods, but neither can see the Dell.  The Dell can see the other two
>computers and attach drives, but cannot see itself in its own Network
>Neighborhood.  I have never heard of this situation.
>The client claims that he has uninstalled Windows networking on the Dell and
>reinstalled it.  He has reinstalled the LAN drivers that came with the NIC
>in the Dell.  He has both NETBUI and TCP/IP protocol stacks loaded in all
>three computers and all have drives available for sharing (Windows
>file/print sharing).
>TIA,

The one thing you did not mention in your question, was my first thought.

Do they have the drive "shared" in the problem computer??  I know you mentioned
they have sharing enabled in the Network protocols, but they also must enable
sharing on the hard drive on this machine.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: