From:
Alan Priol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:14:03 +1000
Ed, just today I was reading a problem sent in to a computer question and
answers column. He stated his computer starts the boot sequence and then
jumps straight to "it is now safe to turn off your computer". His OS was
Win95.The response from the support was, and I quote, what you have is a
missing or damaged VMM32.VXD or WINNIT.EXE file. There are two options,
first and easiest is to rename WINNIT.EXE to WINNIT.OLD at a DOS Prompt and
extract a new file from the Windows CD to it's correct location. If this
does not work then the VMM32.VXD file must be renamed to VMM32.OLD and then
run Windows set-up again to replace the file. Apparently this file cannot be
simply extracted from the Windows CD to replace the renamed one. I could be
wrong about that and it might be worth trying first before running set-up
again.
If nobody else can offer a different solution it may be the way to go. Hope
I have been of some help.

Alan Priol
From the Blue Mountains of NSW Australia.

Yesterday when I attempted to boot up,just after the WIN98 logo appeared the
screen turned black and white and a message appeared which stated to wit:
unpacking vmm32.vxd
C:\windows\system\vmm32\vmm32.vxd failed
packing vmm32.vxd
library invalid or wrong version

"blinking cursor for about three minutes and, then it continues to boot up
into win98se.

What would this indicate to anyone who has knowledge of this. vmm32.vxd is a
virtual device driver, is it not?  Thanks for any and all help on this one.
Ed Bogert

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com