Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:28:13 +1200
Robert, thanks for that extra info about the TPP autoloader software and the link to the photo of the USB2 enclosure.  Turns out, it's the same case that I have myself!  So I must have the TPP software on the disk that came with it (and which I never bothered to load)  I should check it out!

Actually I have two USB boxes of that model.  I don't think it's particularly well designed, though it does look good.  It's a major job to re-open the case and change drives without damage. The drive mounting system is awkward and the fan support is faulty.  The fan began to emit a grinding noise after only a few weeks and I figured that the bush or bearing must have packed up.  But it wasn't that - the fan quietened down after I backed off the mounting screws.

After I moaned to my wholesaler he sent me another type which is a little easier to work with but is basically just plastic junk.  Someone's making a fortune with these things - I mean, they must come out of Taiwan at about $US5.

Regarding my original query about formatting my USB drive, here's a followup for those who might be interested.

I have a FAT32 40gb Maxtor 7200 rpm in a USB 2.0 case, running as a satellite of an XP Pro NTFS main system.  My question was:  Can I convert this drive to NTFS (my original was badly worded - I'd said 'format', when I meant 'convert') from it's location as a satellite drive, and also could the conversion be done without data loss?

In the finish I decided to 'just do it'.  But I hedged my bet; First I removed the drive from it's box and cloned it onto another 40gb drive.

Then I attached the clone to an IDE ribbon on another XP system and converted it to NTFS from there, using the native Drive Manager.  (Interestingly, THAT XP system is itself formatted in FAT32)

Anyway, it seemed to handle the conversion to NTFS ok, tho I haven't yet checked to see if the data is intact.  But there's one little hitch which I hadn't expected.

The drive is 40gb of which 28gb was used.  After the conversion I ended up with a 28gb NTFS partition and the balance marked as 'unallocated'.  Not sure of what else to do, I formatted that partition as NTFS so now I have two partitions instead of the one I started with.

My next task is to find a way to get the drive back to one 40gb partition.  A job for Partition Magic I guess (shudder - never had much luck with this software).  Anyway, it's been an interesting exercise.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From: Robert Lendrim
  Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Re-format USB drive

  " I'm not familiar with TPP Autoloader, can you expand on that? "

  Ian,
  TPP Autoloader is what they call the software that came with my particular
  external (ME-320U2) USB case. I found the initials TPP are also associated
  with other external USB units and I found this:

  " TPP Auto Loader - Tppaldr.exe - Installed with DataStor's (and some other
  manufacturers) USB 2.0 based external DVD, CD-ROM and CD-RW drives. System
  tray icon allowing the user to disconnect the external drive without an
  error message being displayed "

  My layman's understanding is that mine loads at bootup and waits patiently
  until I turn on the drive. The drive is accessible in a few seconds. When I
  am done, I ask TPP's permission to turn off the drive. It works perfectly
  and I have just bought a  second case which I plan to use with my trusty
  CD-RW drive. I have read some negative comments about the ME-720 series but
  know nothing about them. Here is a picture of my drive.
  http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ME-320U2

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml