Christopher Charles <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:50:58 -0800
you should check the c: partition is set to active.
Try fdisk /mbr after booting from windows 98 boot
floppy.
Make sure CMOS battery is new, fully charged and has
proper contact with the clip.

Also you may have errors on the hard drive preventing
booting.

If you have access to another working PC then attach
the hard drive as slave.  Then run scandisk on the
drive to fix errors automaticaly.

Replace HD in PC and bingo it will boot!

I reccommend running scandisk again after first
succesful boot.

Chris

--- Vanessa Henderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just installed a new motherboard. The old was a VIA
> chipset, the new is a nVidia chipset. It only boots
> as far as trying to read the IDE drives, and then
> freezes unless I unhook the CD ROM drive. With only
> the hard drive and video card installed, it will
> just go to the screen that allows you to choose the
> safe mode, DOS mode & a last know good start up
> point. Then it just shuts down and restarts.... OK,
> now that you know my probelm, please help me fix it!
> The computer is unable to read the CD ROM drive,
> therefore I am unable to give it the driver
> information it needs. HELP!
>
> Thanks,
>
>         The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on
> our website,
>            web based bulletinboard for questions and
> answers:
>               Visit our sister website at
> http://nospin.com

http://drpcdr.ca