From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:47:16 -0400
On Monday 14 July 2003 12:33 pm, you wrote:
> > Older 286 cpu pc's gained access to CMOS setup by using a special setup
> > diskette which you had to boot from.  I found several mentions in a
> > google search for your Phoenix BIOS version that said their 386sx systems
> > used
>
> the
>
> > older diskette method, rather than the 'press a key' method to access
> > CMOS setup.
> >
> > If this unfortunately turns out to be true for you, perhaps you could
> > explain why you need to get into CMOS in the first place.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Tom Turak
>
> Dear Tom,
>
> I want to get into the CMOS in order to set up a password for my client, at
> his request.
>
> If I cannot get into the CMOS, then I will try to find a software password
> utility that will work on a 386 machine (if such a thing exists). A
> software password is unquestionably much less preferred by my client.
>
> David Grossman

David:
Perhaps your client would be willing to use the front panel keyed power
switch. AFAIK, these switches were standard on most, if not all, AT type
cases, and are an effective barrier to unauthorized usage. While it is true
that they can be defeated by jumpering, it strikes me that this is no more
challenging than defeating a BIOS password.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml