From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:09:11 -0400
Martha,
You need to resolve the memory slot issue before you tackle the hard disk.
A faulty memory module or using an improper memory module type can lead to
all the errors you are getting from scandisk and format.

The chipset for the motherboard can give you useful clues as to the type and
amount of memory you need.   For example, knowing you have a VIA chipset of
a certain model, will approximately date your motherboard to a certain cpu
generation and year of manufacture, then you can assume memory from the same
generation will be compatible.

Get the memory sorted out, and chances are good the disk will suddenly work
properly.
Tom Turak