From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:37:17 -0700
The main advantages of an external modem over a internal are

Frees up a slot in your computer which can be used for another device
Have a separate power supply so they don't draw from your PCs power supply.
Provides LEDs which gives you visual signals of what is going on
Easily moved from one computer to another
In the case of voice and or phone modem they may provide an external
speaker and mic or jack for them.

The cons of an external over a internal

takes up desktop space.
need to plug in another device to a wall socket.....a transformer
need to buy a modem cable
uses one of your serial ports

The big advantages to an internal modem are that they are cheaper because
they do not have to provide a case and power supply and they are inside the
PC and out of the way. You do have two serial ports and more device can be
added it you need them as long as you have available IRQs. They can also be
shared although this is  problematic and it would be better to use a USB
device.

I have owned three full featured Voice, Telephone modems
ActionTec Internal
Zoom Internal
Practical Peripherals External

The Practical Peripherals was specifically designed for telephone use and
was made to sit on top or your monitor with a speaker and a mike. It also
has external plug ins for a mic and speaker if you prefer a head set.

The Zoom has plug ins for a mic and a speaker
The ActionTec was a winmodem and relied on your sound cards mic and
speakers. There were no jacks.

In all cases I used these modems with various versions of Winfax Talkworks
Pro which allows you to specify what devices you wish to use .....modem
mic/speaker or system soundcard. They recommend you use your sound card for
the best sound. As a modem or fax device or answering machine all three
worked great but the Phone feature has been a different matter.

I have really wanted to make this work and have tried  on different PCs
with different combinations but I have never been happy with the modem
speaker phone on any device or any combination. The speaker sound is always
OK . However it has always been the mic that gives me problems. If I use my
soundcard I get feedback on my mic and when I have used the modem speaker
and mic  or the jacks with a microphone people tell me I sound like I am in
an elevator. Consequently I still my old Panasonic desktop speaker phone.

If someone else has gotten a modem telephone feature  to work well I would
be interested to read how they setup and what they are using for software.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

         What are the pros and cons of external vs. internal modems?  If an
external plugs into the serial port, does that mean some other device can't
be used?
>I want a speakerphone to speak to people I call at their house (and I
>don't like headsets).  There sia 3com external faxmodem pro that comes
>witha highly-rated speakerphone.  If I had an internal, how can I do the
>same thing?
>Ira Wallin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org