From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:04:24 PDT
Hi everyone,
I have been working on a system that will not read from the floppy drive.
When I try to access the drive, I get an unfamiliar reading noise followed
by a "not ready reading drive A" prompt. I swapped the drive with a new one
and when I try to access it, I have the system freeze up! I even tried  a
new ribbon cable with each floppy drive(both old drive and new). System
seems to be very slow when I double click on icons with the new replacement
drive. The system has a 6.4GB Hard drive as primary master, CD-ROM is
secondary master, and the floppy cable serves a Seagate backup drive (middle
connector) and the floppy drive is connected off the end of the cable. When
I try to remove drives or controllers through Device Manager, so that
windows can rebuild at restart, again, things freeze up. Maybe the system
resources are taxed to the limit? All responses greatly acknowledged!
Thanks everyone.
Jim.