Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 16:24:22 +0100
I'm not sure what advice to give, exept don't get yourself too much in debt,
what ever your choice, as you're guaranteed to find that it's outdated
within a couple of years. You'd be gutted about that if you were paying over
the course of 3 years, wouldn't you? By the time you had got halfway through
the payments, it would be well out of date, and you'd be considering
purchasing a new one....
My rule is to stay within your limits. I still think a computer is only as
good as the person using it. It really depends on what you want to do with
it. I know of people who have bought top systems, you name it,they've got it
built into their systems, but they haven't got a clue how to use it all, so
it's wasted.
It's going to be hard for anyone to give good advice on this one I think, as
there is so much choice out there.
If price were a factor with you (and it may not be, I'm going by my own
experience, which is why I build, not buy them complete), there are some
bargains to be had.
You will find that everyone has their preferences regarding cpu's ,
mainboards etc, and what one person will say is no good, another will
praise. A bit like cars, some like Fords, some don't.
you've mentioned speed and ram, but how about hard drive size? Think about
how big a hard drive you may need as well.Would you prefer to add a second
hard drive when the time comes? Would you prefer cdrom or dvdrom? Would you
prefer a rewriter? Would there be an option (re: the m/b&cpu) to upgrade if
the time ever came?
If you're buying new, what sort of hardware guarantee would you be getting?
This may also apply if you're buying second hand, but maybe not.
My advice is to have a good look around and see what's available, and do
remember that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best. (you may well
find the same item next door for half the price, it's been known!)
Good luck, and spend wisely
Michele Sayer