From:
Dan Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 06:54:12 -0700
Frankly, it sounds like you need to do your homework. If all you can cite
is speed and RAM as factors, then you to research the h*ll out of the subject.

My initial suggestion is that you find someone who currently owns a PC that
is reliable and highly recommended. Sample it yourself. If it looks
promising, then contact a representative of that manufacturer and go from
there to your own personal needs.

I must say, though, that we purchased some Dell OptiPlex GX260 PCs here and
they have been nothing less than awesome. We've "rolled out" a couple dozen
and not a "lemon" in the bunch. Quite impressive. In fact, I'm typing on
one...it runs Windows 2000 Professional and boots in about thirty
seconds...not too shabby <smile>! And the price tag ran around $1200 each
for 2.2GHz CPUs...nice, nice, nice <smile>!

At 01:18 AM 5/22/2003 +1200, Ian wrote:
>Hey Simon, that really is a 'how long is a piece of string?' question. I
>mean, you don't say whether, or if, price is a factor.
>
>I'd say, buy the best you can afford.  If the equipment is good, you'll
>forget the cost, but bad quality will dog you until you dump it.
>
>And it'll be obsolete in a couple of months anyway - better to have high
>class obsolescence than just any old junk :--))
>
>Go look for a small manufacturer who only builds maybe 50-100 pc's a year
>and who'll talk to you personally and discuss your choices.  This kind of
>person is far more likely to stand behind their product and to provide
>plenty of help and support.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Ian Porter
>Computer Guys Inc.
>Arrowtown
>New Zealand

Daniel A. Dias
Tech, Computer & Network Support
Innovative Business and Information Services (IBIS)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL)
P.O. Box 808 L-664
Livermore, CA 94551
( 925-423-5638