Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:32:54 EDT

Downloaded drivers, restarted and new hardware wizard searched com port  1
but found no modem. When I try to choose from a list, the model of this  modem
isn't listed so the next step of loading the drivers from floppy reports
"there are no drivers for this hardware in this location.

Should it be searching somewhere other than com 1?

A reminder: running Windows 98se
Oh... and there are no jumpers on modem

-Phil Williams-

>I wonder if this modem is not PnP?  If not there may be jumper  options
which
>need to set on the modem card.  (?)

>William

>I am re-vamping an old Compaq 7478. I installed a fresh copy of  windows
98se
>but had problems with display drivers so I  installed a radeon 9250 PCI card

>and display works great. Now  I'm having trouble with windows locating the
>Actiontec modem. It  appears in device manager and is assigned to com port 5
but
>in  control panel/system only port 1 is listed. I used add hardware wizard
>add  four more com ports but now in system the listed ports are  1, 2, 3, 4
and
>6. I  can't find a way to change what port the  modem is assigned to.

>Since I had to move the modem to a different  slot to make room for the
video
>card, I wonder if this has  somehow caused the problem (are port numbers
>associated with  slot numbers?).

>I've tried un-installing and re-installing the  modem both physically and
>through the add new hardware  wiz.

>What should I try?

>Many Thanks,
>-Phil  Williams-

>I have to make a correction: Modem is not an actiontec but  GVC/conexant
HCF V90 >56K Data >Fax PCI Modem/ GVC model  #F-1156IV/R9  I am now going to
>driverguide.com to download the  >driver in case this may be the problem.

>Still curious about the assignment of ports.

-Phil Williams-

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml