From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 11:52:01 -0600
At 09:36 AM 05/25/2000 , you wrote:
>I have some compaq parts that I want to try to use in other non-compaq
>machines that I have.
>They are an 18.2 GB Ultra Wide SCSI-3 Hard drive and some 128mb PC66 ECC
>SDRam chips.
>
>These parts were supposed to be for a Proliant 1600, but the hard drive
>isn't even seen by the
>server and one of the notches on all the ram chips is offset just enough
>that it won't fit in the slot.
>They fit fine in my HP Vectra 333 desktop, but it won't boot with them
>installed.
>
>Where can I get a SCSI enclosure to house the hard drive?  I would like to
>try to use it on my
>HP Omnibook 7100 with a docking station which supports SCSI but I don't know
>exactly what
>parts I would need to make it work.
>
>Does anyone know how I can get the ram to work in another desktop?

There are lots of outlets for SCSI external drive enclosures, such as:
    http://www.buy.com
    http://www.cyberguys.com

As far as your Dimms, when it comes to ECC ram they could be buffered or
non-buffered, (registered or non-registered), and incompatible with the
motherboard you have put them into.   ECC ram is quite different from standard
non-ECC ram.  My best guess is you have registered ECC chips for the
Compaq motherboard and it is not supported in the HP system.  You will
need to determine exactly what type of ECC Ram you have and then
determine what the HP or other system is compatible using.

Often a good option is to take the Dimms to a local computer parts store and
trade them in for Dimms you can use.  This may cost you a few bucks in the
deal to allow the computer store a profit, but at least you will have Ram you
can use.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: