From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 07:45:17 -0600
At 01:29 PM 05/24/2000 , Doug Hart wrote:
>My system is getting a bit older in comparison to other systems on the
>market, but I'm still really curious why I'm getting this particular
>problem.  First, system info:
>
>AMD K62-350
>BCM vp1541 mbd, w/latest bios flash
>Win98, first ed
>Maxtor 8 GB hd (roughly)
>Creative Labs TNT Graphics Blaster 16 MB VRAM
>Creative Labs Live! Value Card
>Rockwell 56.6 hardware modem
>250 W ATX pws
>
>Now, given that information, here's the prob:
>
>The first part of it is that when I load windows on a clean drive it locks
>up in two places for about 15 min at a time.  It first locks up after
>preparing the system for installation (the first timer bar) and the second
>time is when it's determining free space on the hard drive.  If I leave it
>and come back, it's gone through those steps but it takes a long time.
>Second, after install of windows, with or without drivers loaded, if I do a
>full shutdown it will come up with scandisk every time unless fast shutdown
>is disabled.  I also get some glitches during operation, a lot of fatal
>exception errors with explorer, and such.  I've replaced EVERYTHING in the
>system at least twice, tried PCI and AGP video cards, even different speed
>CPUs.  The only thing I've found conclusively wrong is the core voltage on
>my 350 cpu is set to something different than both BCM and AMD recommend for
>the jumper settings on the mbd.  However, it still does it with my K62-300
>chip and it doesn't have that discrepancy.  I've tried every tech support-
>AMD, Creative, and BCM have never heard of it, or they can't provide an
>answer.  I'm tech support for Micron, and I can't find information on any of
>our data bases either, and none of the other techs have answers for this
>prob.
>I've lived with it for so long it's just annoying now, but I'd still like to
>see if anyone has an answer.

As I see it, you have several issues here that combined are seemingly
inter-related, but need to be addressed separately.

Disabling Fast-shutdown:
  Fast shutdown is a known bug in Windows98 and it is always highly recommended
that it is disabled.  I would just continue to keep it disabled and accept that it is
a problem.

Install slow downs, near lockups:
   I would believe this is an issue with your AMD K6-2 chip, as the K6 & K6-2 are
known for compatibly issues during Windows95/98 installation with most Ram
memory, (although you did not mention your ram in the configuration).   Typically
if a system either completely locks or goes through long periods of waiting during
install, the best solution is to either increase the wait states in the CMOS settings
of the Bios during install or completely disable L2 cache.  This is only during the
install process.  The L2 can be re-enabled after the installation procedure.  I have
also see this problem with overclocked early Intel Celeron CPUs, such as the
Celeron 300a chips.

Fatal Exception Errors or the Blue Screen of Death:
   This can or cannot be an issue with your hardware, but most often it is
a matter of the way Windows98 installs.  It fails to load all the 7 basic required
VXD files for full operation of Windows.   We have an article on our web site
that discusses this issue at length and a download bug fix for this problem.
After you have Windows installed with your install CD in hand, run this bug
fix file, it will refresh or add all seven of these VXD files and update your
VMM32.VXD file to reflect it.  This problem is very common and the solution
we offer on the web site has been used by hundreds of people quite successfully,
as we receive "Thank You" emails all the time about it.  Here is the URL:
       http://nospin.com/pc/pcs05-012.html

This solutions may not be a total cure for your problems, but they are my best
estimate of what you are experiencing.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: