From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:24:53 -0800
On 27 Jan 99, at 13:52, William Wilson wrote:

> My son has a  CD-ROM taken from a 3 or 4 year old computer. Is there
> any way we I can find out what speed it is?  It says Matshita model
> #CR562-B and the FCC ID no. is: IUO9TB008CRB.

  My research indicates that this is probably a 2x drive.

  Matsushita is the Japanese name of the company that makes the stuff
marketed under the name Panasonic.

  Note that this drive dates from early days.  Although it has a 40-pin
connector, it is not an IDE/EIDE device -- your machine should not boot
if you connect it to and IDE controller.  You need to locate something
with a "Panasonic" CD-ROM interface on it -- at the time, a number of
sound cards provided this feature.  Basically, unless you can find such
a card, this is a doorstop.

> He also has a Seagate harddrive taken from another computer that he
> was told is around 1 gig. in size.  It has the parameters on the
> drive.  He wants to put it in his kids machine as a second drive.
> How do I hook it up and what jumpers need to be changed.

  Seagate model numbers consist of the letters "ST", possibly a dash "-
", 3-5 digits, and 0-3 following letters.  See if he can find a model
number on the drive.  From there, it should be easy to determine the
capacity and interface of the drive, which may determine what he needs
to do.  [The other factor is the BIOS of the system the drive will be
installed into....]

David G